AMELIORATING THE SITUATION WITH EXPERT HELP
Every individual, irrespective of the region he or she belongs to, has the constitutional right to defend himself or herself. Every person is innocent until proven guilty and this is where the role of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA becomes essential. Whether innocent or guilty, getting involved in such cases is the last thing somebody would wish to. Proving innocence is not a piece of cake and not seeking the help of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can be disastrous. Knowing and using all the constitutional rights that have been bestowed upon the citizens of Virginia and helping the defendants wriggle out of cases with honor and sanity intact is a process possible only by competent criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA.
Defending a criminal offense in VA is one of the most demanding and tricky arenas often mastered by reputed lawyers. More often than not people at large might perceive criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA to be the protectors of the accused. It is not uncommon to see people concluding a tad too early or declare somebody guilty even before a complete investigation. In several unfortunate cases wherein people could not get in touch with criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA in time, many innocent people have borne the brunt of the crime they never committed. It is for this reason that hiring criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA turns out to be all the more important for those who find themselves in the spot.
As per the Bill of Rights in the Constitution of the United States, several rights have been bestowed on the defendants, and the right to legal counsel is one of them. This is where criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA come in. In addition, the right to a speedy trial and the right to be protected against unreasonable searches and seizures also come under the domain of the same. Criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA play a very crucial role in ensuring that every one of their clients gets to exercise each of these rights until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Construction of the ideal stratagems by criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA
Several strategies need to be well thought of and exercised when a person is accused of a charge. For those living in Richmond VA, only a firm that offers the best of qualified criminal defense lawyers can help with the best representation of the case.
There are several tactics that the criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA apply for their clients. Some of these include:
- Self-defense: A person may end up getting involved in a violent crime like assault or murder for self-defense. Virginia has its own set of laws for all such cases and expert criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA have the complete know all of such laws. Herein the responsibility of proving facts that the given act of crime was committed with an objective of self-defense lies on the defendant and it is here that the role of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA comes in. Virginia though clearly mentions that such acts of crime apply only to the protection of life and not for any property.
- Alibi: If the defendant was present at some other location at the given time of the crime, criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help their clients prove innocence with the statements of eyewitnesses/witnesses and robust time-framed evidence. But Virginia specifies that the same need to be brought to notice before the trial of the case begins.
- Entrapment: The strategy can be applied in cases wherein the accused with the help of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can plead innocence that the act of crime was committed after being induced by a government agent. It is upon the defendant and his team of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA to prove the complete culpability of the government agent. This is one of the more difficult strategies to apply for the criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA especially if the defendant has had a prior run-in with the law agencies.
- Duress: If an act of crime was performed under duress of an imminent threat, criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help defendants formulate an effective strategy. Criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can enlist the types of psychological harm, threats, or acts of false imprisonment and torture that the defendants have been made to go through prior to the commitment of the crime.
- Insanity: A person of an unsound mind or those battling psychological issues can commit an act of crime without understanding the gravity or consequences of the same. For such cases, criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help defendants and their families prove the defendant has been suffering from a certain mental illness at the time of committing the crime. Though important, data shows that this has been only occasionally used by the criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA.
- Miranda Rights: Virginia recognizes that if a person is picked up for questioning, it is perfectly alright for him or her to decide not to speak or divulge any information to the authorities without prior consulting their choice of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA.
- Statute of limitations: Statutes of limitations refer to the time frame for the commencement of the legal proceedings with reference to the case. Virginia has laid down the statutes of limitations for different types of crimes ranging from one year to an indefinite period. Expert criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA have complete knowledge of all such statutes of limitations. In cases wherein these statutes are not adhered to by the law enforcement agencies, criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help their clients formulate an effective strategy.
- Wrongful identification by an eye witness: In cases wherein the defendants have been misidentified or the witness enlisted by the prosecution is unreliable, criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can use this fact as part of their defense strategy.
- Unlawful searches and seizures: Virginia bestows upon its citizens, the right to defend against unlawful searches and seizures. Criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help clients protect their civil rights if they have been arrested or searched for drugs without a reasonable cause.
Why is it important to hire criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA?
Criminal offenses are the most serious and hence they carry heavy sentences. Even a small error or neglect in formulating an effective strategy can spell doom for the defendants. This goes without saying that hiring the best criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA not only helps the defendants with the best of legal help but also gives them a little confidence in such gloomy times. Since there are variations in the laws and sentences for different crimes in different states, it is therefore imperative that one hires the best criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA for their cases. Certain crimes like possession of drugs or reckless driving are much of serious issues in Virginia than in other states and therefore only criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help best with legal solutions since they have complete knowledge.
Even individuals who have not been charged yet can get in touch with criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA to understand the seriousness of the charges, the likely outcome of the cases, sentences in the previous similar cases, and the ideal strategies in the given circumstances.
Should one go for a single attorney or a team of criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA?
The answer lies in the seriousness of the offense but in general, across the board, it is advisable to go for a law firm that has top-notch criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA to help each of their clients with the best legal help possible. Law firms that have several criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA devise the ideal strategy for their clients since there isn’t a single but several criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA on board. They also help in saving on a great deal of time for their clients. This is because, with criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA law firms, the same attorney is not required to formulate the legal strategies and do the legwork for filing the motions. Also, such firms with proficient criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA have access and reach to resources that a single attorney cannot offer.
Criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can make a huge difference to the outcome
Expert criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA are the most knowledgeable people with regards to the laws in Virginia. If an individual gets in touch with criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA in the nick of time, he/she will deal with the charges the best possible way. A defendant can decide to stay silent and get in touch with criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA before divulging any information. It is the duty of the prosecutors to prove the crime. But, criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can help defendants pick up the loopholes, if any, in the prosecutor’s response. Take a sneak-peek into the experience and success record of your chosen criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA before retaining them as it shall always help.
Each state follows the laws while punishing a person for their actions and the same is practiced in Virginia. If you are expecting sentencing in a case, do not waste any time and contact the best criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. to defend your charges. The crimes can be classified into groups or levels and each has a specific sentence. Some states even adopt a hybrid approach but also embrace a specific penalty in particular crimes. The background is verified while punishing the accused. The judge has some discretion in choosing the sentence within the range mentioned in the statute. Giving a higher sentence than the specific range, the law seeks justification involving aggravating factors for deviating from the sentence, while giving a lower sentence can lead to mitigating circumstances. The criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. can explain the factors leading to a sentence.
The sentencing is based on individual cases. It is the responsibility of your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA to analyze the factors leading to sentencing and work towards vindicating those. In the traffic ticket and misdemeanor cases at the General District Court, it is the discretion of the judge to impose the sentence. Though, there are many ways to go without the sentence imposition, wait for imposing a sentence or dismiss a case on completion of community service by the convict. In the above cases, the discretion of the judge is final. Only the best criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. can help reduce or dismiss a sentence.
The judgment at the Circuit Court depends on whether it is a bench trial. In this case, the judge hears the evidence and then decides on the trial. The sentence can be delivered on the trial date or a few months after the person fulfills the requirements of the court. Talk to your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA on the issues related to sentencing. In some cases, after the convict maintains good behavior or completes rehabilitation, community service, training, etc.
What are the aggravating factors in sentencing?
The list of aggravating factors is not exclusive and the judge can consider information related to the crime or the defendant while determining a sentence. Your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can give you a clear idea on what are the aggravating factors leading to strict sentencing. Some of the common aggravating factors are:
- The use of a weapon by the defendant becomes an aggravating factor
- If the defendant has any prior convictions of serious nature
- If the defendant has taken advantage of the vulnerable position of the victim or breached their trust
- If the victim was targeted on the basis of hate crime like discrimination of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, or nationality.
- If the defendant committed a violent crime and caused bodily harm to the victim
- If the defendant was in a position of high quantities of contraband or attacking multiple victims
- If the defendant was largely responsible for committing a crime of high degree of planning or sophistication.
Both the mitigating and aggravating factors are used by the judges to determine a sentence. Hence, it is important to check with your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA, if any factors can contribute to increasing your sentence. It is proportional to the severity of the crime and the history sheet of the defendant. To impose a higher sentence the judges cannot use the element of the crime. Check with your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA on how to defend aggravating factors.
The probation offer highlights the aggravating factors in the pre-sentence reports especially when it is a serious misdemeanor or felony crime. The officers give a synopsis of police reports, interviews with the victims and defendant to give the judge a comprehensive picture of the case. The statements are submitted to the judges along with the aggravating factors, to convince the judge for a stricter sentence. In the case of mitigation factors, the defendant can ask for a lighter sentence. If you anticipate stricter sentencing, it is time you discuss the issue with your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA. The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. follows the right course of action to cut down on your sentence.
It is the responsibility of the judge to weigh the pre-sentence statement along with the aggravating and mitigating factors to come to a conclusion on the sentencing. The aggravating factors have to be proved to the judge by the prosecutor and the criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA must be able to defend the charges and work towards reducing the sentence.
Mitigating factors leading to the sentencing
In Richmond VA, even mitigating factors can have an impact on sentencing. Your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA will tell you that family history, childhood facts, and other relevant information can affect the sentencing by the judge. The criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can influence the judge citing mitigating factors to reduce your sentence. Your criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA can make use of your education, employment history, personal responsibilities, and financial situation to seek leniency.
The criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. can advocate for the client during the sentencing phase. The criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA provides a clear and precise argument to analyze the case from a different angle to reduce the sentencing. It is the responsibility of the defense lawyers in Richmond VA to set their client apart from the usual and convince them that their client will not repeat it in the future.
Those facing charges need to talk to qualified and experienced criminal defense lawyers in Richmond VA to understand what factors can increase or decrease the penalty. The lawyers in Virginia from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. will help you decide on plea bargaining to reduce your sentence.